Purpose of the role...
Explore new technologies and work on innovative products within a multi-disciplined team
We are looking for a motivated, professional level software engineer to help build and maintain robust, scalable software for the web, mobile and be exposed to voice technology (Alexa, AWS Lambda). Don't worry - we know you may not be an expert in all these areas, but you will have the appititude to apply yourself to new technical challenges.
You will be joining a small, autonomous team responsible for building on the success of the award-winning Higher Lower Game and developing Code's own IP products, as well as working on some of our clients' more innovative initiatives.
Alongside your core engineering responsibilities you will also have the opportunity to take an active role in all stages of new product development, from initial idea generation, through prototyping and user validation, to eventual release and iterative improvement.
Role and responsibilities...
Reporting to the team's Software Development Lead, you'll play a critical role in delivering technical solutions following lean, agile and continuous delivery principles. You will have the support of Senior Software Engineers & our ‘Best in Industry’ Principal Software Engineers, so you can keep progressing your own skills and career.
You must have a strong desire to improve yourself and learn from others, and a willingness to participate in and contribute to Code Computerlove's culture of learning & sharing.
Who are you?
You will have experience developing for web and/or mobile using technologies and tools such as Node.JS, Redis, MongoDB, Nginx, Ionic, React Native and be comfortable in a Linux based environment. You will be a capable software engineer, but recognise that you still need some support as you continue to develop your skills.
You will be passionate about technology and aware of lean modern engineering, DevOps & delivery practices. You will have been exposed at some level to working in a TDD, test first approach, and can demonstrate this understanding.
Skills and experience...
- Comfortable in a Linux environment using tools such as NGINX, Redis, MongoDB
- An understanding of what Code Craftsmanship is (Clean Code, TDD, Refactoring techniques) and can demonstrate your understanding through collaborative working practices, pair coding or a personal GitHub repo.
- Have capability in HTML and CSS, however you will have a Front End specialist in your team to work with who you can learn from.
- You have had experience of Lean or Agile working practices, but want to cement your knowledge and help contribute continuous improvement and eliminating waste as part of a team.
- You will have as much passion in HOW you work & deliver solutions to problems as you do in the technology you use, so terms like 'Craftsmanship', 'Clean Code', 'TDD', 'Self Organising', 'Metrics', 'Fast Feedback', 'Automate Everything' is something you believe in very strongly.
- You are already a competent developer, but looking for the support & culture to progress further.
- Experience in utilising cloud services and DevOps practices, preferably AWS.
- Expreience developing mobile apps using tech such as Ionic, Cordova and React Native
- Exposure to API driven Content Management Systems such as Contentful.
- Perhaps you will already be attending tech community events in the North West, and recognise the importance of the tech community to calibrate and learn from best in industry engineers. XPMan, DevOps Manchester, Lean Agile Manchester, MancJS, McrFred etc.
What we value...
What our Engineers & Teams Value
- A focus on modern engineering principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD & BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever changing demands with reliability, repeatability and fast feedback.
- Agile/Lean Thinking - Product focussed, Kanban approach, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to surface and use data to drive decisions.
- Self-organising – Empowered team that constantly seek to improve to reliably deliver iterative solutions.
- Learning & Personal Development - Code Kata's, Brown Bags, SkillShares & External software coaches.
- Actively attending & speaking at local tech & lean meetups in the North West - DevOps Manc, XPMan, MancJS, North West Tester Gathering, CodeUp, etc.
- Making use of the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together
- We value people who improve; continually improve themselves and the world around them to make a difference
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
- BRILLIANT NEVER STOPS
Our offices are based in Manchester city centre, just a few minutes’ walk from Piccadilly train station. We value our working spaces greatly so we've crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish. We would like individuals who can embrace Code's learning culture and collaborative project approach.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience. On top of this we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days' holiday, paid social events, bike schemes and child care schemes to name a few.
- 25 days’ holiday and bank holidays
- Profit related bonus scheme
- Medical / health insurance scheme
- Workplace pension scheme
- £500 personal training budget
- Personal headphone allowance
- Laptop bag allowance
- Eye & dental health cover
- Gin Friday (Friday bar)
- Social & supported events throughout the year
- Subsidised professional massage (on site)
- Bike scheme
- Child care scheme
- And much more!