Care about responsive, accessible and performant user exepriences?
We have an opportunity for an experienced, capable frontend developer to join one of our multi-disciplined product focused teams at Code Computerlove. As the frontend specialist for the team you’ll play a critical role in defining and delivering frontend experiences and solutions, spot opportunities to constantly improve our client products, making them performant, accessible and frictionless for their customers, as well as supporting and mentoring others on the team with all things ‘frontend’.
We're passionate about keeping fresh & always learning. If you want to join a community of front-enders, engineers and designers where sharing skills & admitting you don't know something is ok? Then read on...
Please note: Despite the impacts of COVID-19, we are still recruiting as normal. We have a fully digital recruitment process, so can still perform interviews, interactive sessions and the office walk around, as well as onboarding using tech of course!
Your team (self named 'Apache') is a multi-disciplined mix of 12 experts across Product Strategy, Delivery Management, UX Research & Design, Software Engineering & DevOps, Agile Test Analyst, Content & Optimisation etc, who are all responsible for driving the product roadmap and customer experiences for 2 long standing client partners. 'Apache' have also won team of the year at Code 3 times over the last 5 years!
You will also be part of the Frontend discipline/community with all other frontend specialists from the other 4 product teams at Code, inputting to the direction of frontend, sharing & driving best practice, and re-use across Code Computerlove.
You must have a strong desire to improve yourself and learn from others, whilst also getting involved in the Code Computerlove culture of learning & sharing. You will have support from our ‘Best in Industry’ talent, so you can keep progressing your own skills and career.
Role and responsibilities...
You are pragmatic in your approach, balancing technical and product needs to deliver quality, testable, adaptable solutions as part of a continuously improving product team & client.
You have a good understanding of design, UI & UX principles. Designing for users not screens is a term you are fully tuned into. You believe Design & UX are skills every frontend developer should be passionate about and your approach to working with designers is collaborative, fluid, and centres on the creation and implementation of thorough design system principals and reusability for scalability. You do much more than just lift and shift flat designs to the browser.
Perhaps you are not sure how you can grow any further in your current role, or you are lacking the support and culture to keep progressing?
Skills and experience...
- 2 years or more minimum commercial experience as a Front End Developer.
- You have a good understanding of build tools such as Grunt, Gulp, or Webpack.
- You are aware of the impact of performance and understand techniques for improving load and render times.
- You will have as much passion in HOW you work & deliver solutions to problems as you do in the technology you use, so terms like ‘Craftsmanship’, ‘Clean Code’, ‘Self Organising’, ‘Fast Feedback’, ‘Automate Everything’ are something you believe in very strongly.
- You are already a competent developer, but looking for the support, mentoring and culture to progress further.
- An appreciation of UX & Design, with a desire to work more collaboratively (design in the browser).
- Interest in accessibility and how it applies to building websites .
- You have had exposure to Lean or Agile working practices, but want to cement your knowledge and help contribute to continuous improvement and eliminating waste as part of a team culture.
- Perhaps you will already be attending tech community events in the North West, and recognise the importance of the tech community to calibrate and learn from best in industry engineers. If you go to McrFRED, then you’ve probably heard some of our specialists talk about their passion for everything frontend!
What we value...
What our Front End Developers Value
- A focus on modern front end principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD & BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever changing demands with reliability, repeatability and fast feedback.
- A love for design and usability - It's not all about the tech implementation..
- Agile/Lean Thinking - Product focussed, Kanban approach, Design in the browser, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to use data to drive decisions.
- Self-Organising – empowered team that constantly seek to improve to reliably deliver iterative solutions.
- Learning & Personal Development - Code Kata's, Brown Bags, Skill Shares & External software coaches
- Actively attend & speak at local tech & lean meetups in the North West, MancJS, McrFRED, CodeUP etc
- Use the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together
- We value people who improve; continually improve themselves and the world around them to make a difference
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
Our offices are based in Manchester City centre, just a few minutes’ walk from Piccadilly train station. We value our working spaces greatly so we've crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish. We would like individuals who can embrace Code's learning culture and collaborative project approach.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience. On top of this we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes, you name it...
Perks of working for Code
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Profit-related bonus scheme
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme