Finding it hard to keep up to date with everything going on in the Frontend world?
So are we, but we're passionate about keeping fresh & always learning. If you want to join a community of front-enders where sharing skills & admitting you don't know something is ok? Then read on...
Purpose of the role...
We have opportunities for an experienced modern thinking frontend developer to join one of our multi-disciplined product focused teams at Code Computerlove to create and deliver award-winning web & user experiences.
Role and responsibilities...
As the frontend specialist in the team you’ll play a critical role in defining frontend solutions within the team, as well as supporting and mentoring others with all things ‘frontend’.
You will also be part of the Frontend Code discipline/community along with all other frontend specialists from other teams at Code, inputting to the direction of frontend, and driving best practice & re-use across Code Computerlove.
As part of your team (consisting of Product Owner, UX & Design, Software Engineering, QA etc), you will spot opportunities to constantly improve client products, making them more performant, accessible and frictionless for their users.
You must have a strong desire to improve yourself and learn from others, whilst also getting involved in the Code Computerlove culture of learning & sharing. You will have support from our ‘Best in Industry’ talent, so you can keep progressing your own skills and career.
Who are you?
You are a solid, competent frontend developer with a few years of commercial experience. Passionate about technology and lean modern interactive frontend development, UX and design principles. You will be a capable frontend developer, but recognise that you can benefit from further mentoring as you continue in your career.
You will recognise the benefit of good UI architecture and design in order to deliver the high standards you & Code pride themselves on. You are pragmatic in your approach, balancing technical and product needs to deliver quality adaptable solutions as part of a continuously improving product team & client.
You have an understanding of design & UX principles. Designing for users, not screens is a term you are fully tuned into. You believe Design & UX are skills every frontend developer should be passionate about and can demonstrate evidence of that very belief through your portfolio.
A passion to fix the designer-developer gap removing the “thinkers/doers” mentality is something you strive for. Perhaps you are not sure how your current role can grow any further, or you are lacking the support to keep progressing…?
Skills and experience...
- 1-2 years or more minimum commercial experience as a Front End Developer
- You are aware of the impact of performance and understand techniques for improving load and render times.
- You will have as much passion in HOW you work & deliver solutions to problems as you do in the technology you use, so terms like ‘Craftsmanship’, ‘Clean Code’, ‘Self Organising’, ‘Fast Feedback’, ‘Automate Everything’ are something you believe in very strongly.
- You are already a competent developer, but looking for the support, mentoring and culture to progress further
- An appreciation of UX & Design, with a desire to work more collaboratively (design in the browser)
- Experience in creating/working within commercial NodeJS or React applications.
- Exposure to Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Interest in accessibility and how it applies to building websites
- You have had exposure to Lean or Agile working practices, but want to cement your knowledge and help contribute continuous improvement and eliminating waste as part of a team.
- Perhaps you will already be attending tech community events in the North West, and recognise the importance of the tech community to calibrate and learn from best in industry engineers. If you go to McrFRED, then you’ve probably heard some of our specialists talk about their passion for everything frontend!
What we value...
What our Front End Developers Value
- A focus on modern front end principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD & BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever changing demands with reliability, repeatability and fast feedback.
- A love for design and usability - It's not all about the tech implementation..
- Agile/Lean Thinking - Product focussed, Kanban approach, Design in the browser, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to use data to drive decisions.
- Self-Organising – empowered team that constantly seek to improve to reliably deliver iterative solutions.
- Learning & Personal Development - Code Kata's, Brown Bags, Skill Shares & External software coaches
- Actively attend & speak at local tech & lean meetups in the North West, MancJS, McrFRED, CodeUP etc
- Use the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together
- We value people who improve; continually improve themselves and the world around them to make a difference
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
Our offices are based in Manchester City centre, just a few minutes’ walk from Piccadilly train station. We value our working spaces greatly so we've crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish. We would like individuals who can embrace Code's learning culture and collaborative project approach.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience. On top of this we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes, you name it...
Perks of working for Code
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Profit-related bonus scheme
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme