Care about responsive, accessible, and performant digital customer experiences?
We are looking for Front End Engineers with 3+ years of experience within a Professional or Senior level capability, with aspirations to progressing into or within the Senior grade.
We’re passionate about keeping fresh & always learning. If you want to join a community of front-enders, engineers and designers where sharing skills & admitting you don’t know something is ok? Then read on…
Role Band: 2 or 3
(Band Guide: 1:Foundation. 2:Professional. 3:Senior. 4:Lead/Principal. 5:Director)
Salary: £30k – £55k
The salary & banding for this role is dependent on your experience and skill.
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity at Code. We are actively encouraging applications from black and ethnic minority groups and women in engineering.
Despite the impacts of COVID-19, we are still recruiting as normal. We have taken the full recruitment process digital, so will perform interviews, interactive sessions and the office walk around through web conferencing. Although we are working remotely at the moment (during a pandemic), we expected a post-pandemic working world to embrace a mix of remote/office working – so this role is NOT a fully remote opportunity. Our fantastic city-centre office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time.
We have 4 product delivery teams at Code, each team is a multi-disciplined mix of 10 experts across Product Strategy, Delivery Management, UX Research & Design, Software Engineering, Front End Engineering, DevOps, Agile Test Analyst, Content & Optimisation, who are all responsible for driving and delivering against the product roadmap and customer experiences for their client partnerships.
You will also be part of the Front End discipline/community with all other front end specialists from other 4 product teams at Code, inputting to the direction of frontend, sharing & driving best practice, and re-use across Code Computerlove.
You must have a strong desire to improve yourself and learn from others, whilst also getting involved in the Code Computerlove culture of learning & sharing. You will have support from our ‘Best in Industry’ talent, so you can keep progressing your own skills and career.
Role and responsibilities
You are pragmatic in your approach, balancing technical and product needs to deliver quality, testable, adaptable solutions as part of a continuously improving product team & client.
You have a good understanding of design, UI & UX principles. Designing for users not screens is a term you are fully tuned into. You believe Design & UX are skills every frontend developer should be passionate about and your approach to working with designers is collaborative, fluid, and centers on the creation and implementation of thorough design system principles and reusability for scalability. You do much more than just lift and shift flat designs to the browser.
Perhaps you are not sure how you can grow any further in your current role, or you are lacking the support and culture to keep progressing?
Skills and experience
- 3 years or more minimum commercial experience as a Front End Engineer.
- You have a good understanding of build tools such as Grunt, Gulp, or Webpack.
- You are more agnostic on the language/frameworks you use, not pigeon-holed to a single language/framework.
- You are aware of the impact of performance & accessibility, and understand techniques for improving load and render times.
- You will have as much passion in HOW you work & deliver solutions to problems as you do in the technology you use, so terms like ‘Craftsmanship’, ‘Clean Code’, ‘Self Organising’, ‘Fast Feedback’, ‘Automate Everything’ are something you believe in very strongly.
- You are already a competent developer, but looking for the support, mentoring and culture to progress further.
- An appreciation of UX & Design, with a desire to work more collaboratively (design in the browser).
- Deeper knowledge of accessibility and how it applies to building digital experiences.
- You have had exposure to Lean or Agile working practices, but want to cement your knowledge and help contribute to continuous improvement and eliminating waste as part of a team culture.
- Perhaps you have already attended some of the tech community events in the North West and recognise the importance of the tech community to calibrate and learn from best-in-industry engineers.
What we value
What our Front End Engineers Value
- A focus on modern front-end principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD and BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever-changing demands with reliability, repeatability, and fast feedback.
- A love for design and usability – It’s not all about the tech implementation.
- Agile/Lean Thinking – Product focussed, Kanban approach, Design in the browser, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to use data to drive decisions.
- Self-organizing – empowered that constantly seeks to improve to reliably deliver iterative solutions.
- Learning & Personal Development – Code Katas, Brown Bags, Skill Shares, Training & Certifications.
- Actively attend and speak at local tech and lean meetups in the North West.
- Use the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together.
- We value people who improve; continually improve themselves and the world around them to make a difference.
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with, and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
Although we are working remotely at the moment (during a pandemic), we are expected a post-pandemic working world to embrace a mix of remote/office working – so this role is NOT a fully remote opportunity. Our fantastic city-centre office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time.
Our Manchester city-center office space, just a few minutes walk from Picadilly train station, reflects the collaborative way we work, so we’ve crafted studios and working environments that let creativity and collaboration flourish.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. On top of this, we have a generous benefits package, including our ‘Make-Change’ Friday afternoon learning time every week, pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday growing to 30 days over time, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes.
Perks of working for Code
- Make-Change Friday afternoon – dedicated improvement time
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- £25 per month wellbeing budget
- Corporate discounts with the likes of John Lewis and Made.com
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme
- Your birthday off
- Flexible bank-holidays
- Profit-related bonus
Powered by Jobvite