As a… content enthusiast
I need to… understand if this job is right for me
So I can… see whether it’s worth applying for or not
Content and design are like bread and butter – you can have one without the other, but it might make for a less-than-savoury experience.
This is why we’re growing our team of content designers at Code – to get people thinking about content more often and help deliver the best online experiences for our clients.
You’ll be working closely with other people to produce content that’s delivered at the right time, in the right place and in the right way. These people could be your colleagues (designers, UX researchers, analytics consultants and developers) or stakeholders.
Although your new home will be the ‘Design Studio’, you’ll be working across various product teams in a vibrant product studio environment. This gives you the opportunity to get regularly involved with lots of interesting things, including user research, workshops and experimentation.
We’re not necessarily looking for an experienced content designer. Rather, we’d like to welcome people to Code who are enthusiastic about content, have a way with words and are keen to learn.
Role Band: 2
(Band Guide: 1: Junior. 2: Designer. 3: Senior Designer. 4: Design Lead. 4.5: Head/Principal. 5: Director)
The salary banding for this role is dependent on your experience
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity at Code. We are actively encouraging applications from black and ethnic minority groups and women in engineering.
Despite the impacts of COVID-19, we are still recruiting as normal. We have taken the full recruitment process digital, so will perform interviews, interactive sessions and the office walk around through web conferencing.
We are also working remotely, however, our fantastic city-centre office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time.
- Collaborate with other designers, specialists and stakeholders to understand business needs, user needs and key journeys
- Produce content in the right format, hierarchy and tone using story maps and wireframes
- Evaluate user research outcomes and analytics data to make content decisions and help drive further iterations
- Be actively involved with research to better understand the content needs, e.g. notetaking for or facilitating user testing
- Share your work and thought processes with clients and during peer reviews with other designers
- Produce content audits and expert reviews to evaluate existing content and make recommendations based on data and/or knowledge
- Contribute to clients’ design systems with content principles, guidelines and conventions
Skills and experience
- Brilliant communication skills to produce effective content, explain your decisions and collaborate with other colleagues and stakeholders
- An empathetic mindset to understand user needs, whilst also considering the client’s business needs
- Experience of working effectively across multiple clients or projects
- Comfortable with attending client meetings, presenting work and making recommendations
- Experience of using analytics data to inform content decisions
- Proficient with content management systems
- Proficient with the content design process, including research, user needs, journey mapping, creation and iteration
- Understanding of how to use Figma and Miro to produce wireframes and collaborate with designers
- Interest in broader design issues, skills and methods beyond content
- Experience of being involved in or facilitating research, e.g. stakeholder interviews, user testing
- Understanding of design systems and how content principles, conventions and tone of voice guidelines fit into them
- Awareness of accessibility and inclusivity issues in relation to content and design
- Knowledge of product design and product thinking
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team and using Agile methodologies
- An education background in a relevant field, e.g. English, communications or marketing
- Self-leadership – Be responsible and accountable for your own actions and growth. Ensure you are always seeking to improve your work and the world.
- Content design activity – Be responsible for delegating or conducting appropriate content design activity to drive the product forward.
- Programs of work – Select content design methods and lead the definition of appropriate programs of work needed to meet any specific design challenge.
Code Computerlove values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together.
- We value people who improve; continually improve themselves and the world around them to make a difference.
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. On top of this, we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday growing to 30 days over time, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes, etc.
For the foreseeable future, we are a remote-first business, however, our fantastic city-centre office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time. Our Manchester city-centre office space, just a few minutes walk from Piccadilly train station, reflects the collaborative way we work, so we’ve crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish.
Perks of working for Code
- Make-Change Friday afternoon – dedicated improvement time
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- £25 per month wellbeing budget
- Corporate discounts with the likes of John Lewis and Made.com
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme
- Your birthday off
- Flexible bank-holidays
- Profit-related bonus
Powered by Jobvite