Define, inspire and drive technical standards and capability for modern Front End engineering across Code
Role Band: 4
(Band Guide: 1:Foundation. 2:Professional. 3:Senior. 4:Lead/Principal. 5:Director)
The salary banding for this role is dependant on your experience
We are an equal opportunities employer and are committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity at Code. We are actively encouraging applications from black and ethnic minority groups and women in engineering.
Despite the impacts of COVID-19, we are still recruiting as normal. We have taken the full recruitment process digital, so will perform interviews, interactive sessions and the office walk around through web conferencing. We are also working remotely, however, our fantastic city centre office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time.
Purpose of the role
Code Computerlove build and maintain products that utilise a range of technologies – let’s face it – the world moves quickly these days! So as Principal Front End Engineer you’ll be the ‘Front End Evangelist‘ at Code, having your finger on the ever-changing technical landscape so you can ensure implementations are on track as well as inspire and skill others in all things ‘Front End.
This role is very similar to a ‘Head of Front End’ role, however, we recognise that technical capability experts shouldn’t be constrained with ‘line management’ responsibilities, so this role has no line management responsibility – so you can focus on driving pure technical excellence across Code.
Role and responsibilities
As a Principal Front End Engineer – reporting to the Technical Director, you’ll collaborate with other Principal level technical specialists/evangelists at Code (Principal Software Engineer, Principal DevOps Engineer) to:
- Own and drive the technical strategy, objectives and standards for the Front End discipline/community at Code
- Inspire, mentor and improve skills and capability of others
- Create reusable frameworks
- Create a vibrant internal Front End community within Code
- Support our product teams to ensure the use of technology is fit for purpose
You’ll play a crucial part in getting new client products started, and ensuring more mature products have a clear technical future. This will mean you will be operating in both a consultancy and development capacity (internally to Code staff and externally with clients).
Skills and experience
You are already at the top of your game and have a high level of technical experience and competence across everything Front End, so can take the below in your stride:
- Strong at technical mentoring and non-technical communication
- Self-motivated and driven – embody the attributes of a technical leader
- Able to look ahead and anticipate technology changes and how to pivot
- Deep knowledge of CSS, and experience in CSS architecture approaches (OOCSS, BEM, ITCSS)
- Highly capable in understanding why’s, how’s and uses of frameworks like React, Next, Vue, Angular, Node etc
- Highly competent with automation and build tooling (Webpack / Gulp / Grunt etc)
- Demonstrate understanding in Accessibility and an advocate for the correct approach
- Knowledge of the techniques around performance optimisation
- A test-first mindset to development with a selection of tooling frameworks and automation (Cypress, Backstop, Cucumber etc)
- Aware of the wider tech and design ecosystems
- AWS / Azure DevOps and CI awareness
- Agile mindset / experience working and improving others in an agile or lean environment.
- Recognised in the technical community for your technical capability
What we value
What our Front End Engineers Value
- A focus on modern front end principles, Craftsmanship, Automation, TDD and BDD, DevOps, so technical solutions can be constantly adapted to meet ever changing demands with reliability, repeatability and fast feedback.
- A love for design and usability – It’s not all about the tech implementation..
- Agile/Lean Thinking – Product focussed, Kanban approach, Design in the browser, Extreme programming, building collaborative team structures that want to use data to drive decisions.
- Self-Organising – empowered team that constantly seek to improve to reliably deliver iterative solutions.
- Learning and Personal Development – Code Katas, Brown Bags, Skill Shares and External software coaches
- Actively attend and speak at local tech and lean meetups in the North West
- Use the flexible, fun and challenging work environment where innovative ideas are encouraged.
Code Computerlove Values
- We value people who are brilliant in their capability and the things that they make together
- We value people who are always improving both themselves and the world around them to make a difference
- We value people who collaborate, who are a joy to work with and who get more from themselves and those around them, by working together effectively.
For the foreseable future we are remote-first business, however, our fantastic city center office space is COVID-19 secure, and open for our staff to work from if they wish to from time to time. Our Manchester City centre office space, just a few minutes’ walk from Picadilly train station, reflects the collaborative way we work, so we’ve crafted studios and working environments that let creativity flourish.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable dependent on qualifications and experience. On top of this we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, medical insurance, flexi-start, 25 days holiday growing to 30 days over time, paid social events, bike schemes, child care schemes, you name it…
Perks of working for Code
- An annual training budget of at least £500 so you can develop your skills
- Profit-related bonus scheme
- Medical insurance with eyecare and dental included
- Subsidised massages on-site
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package
- Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home
- Annual (& legendary) Christmas jaunt abroad
- Social events subsidised by the company, including a weekly free bar
- Bike and rail pass scheme
Powered by Jobvite